We had our net carbon measured in Torassieppi and the results were very positive!
Pallas-Ylläs TOBE low carbon is a low carbon project which aims not only to calculate and reduce the carbon footprint in the Pallas-Yllästunturi National Park, but also that of our companies located near the park. Torassieppi, our eco resort situated just next to the national park, is taking part in the project and we just got out initial results of our carbon footprint.
At the moment we bind 12 x more carbon than we release in the air!
The overall annual carbon footprint of Torassieppi is a tad under 40 tonnes of CO2 equivalent
However as Torassieppi has vast forests which annually bind carbon a whopping 500 tonnes of CO2 equivalent, it means that Torassieppi binds 12 times more carbon than it releases (start balance).
Here’s a short list of what we’ve done so far to support sustainable tourism in Harriniva:
- Our three resorts Harriniva, Jeris and Torassieppi have been converted into using exclusively geothermal heating in 2015-16. This reduces the consumption of oil used for heating by 200,000 litres every single year.
- We have chosen green electricity. This means that the electricity we use is 100% renewable.
- All waste from our onsite Arctic Sled-Dog Centre is composted, and together we are partnering with the Muonio Municipality in vital research towards a bioenergy project which studies the options of recycling this biowaste into energy.
- We have electric car charging points at two of our hotels and we are researching the potential benefits of introducing them to all of our properties.
We recycle and reduce waste in all our hotels and wilderness cabins.
- No paper or plastic disposable dishes are used. On the safaris and outdoor dining we use washable cups and plates from Kupilka, which are 50% wood and 50% recycled plastic.
- We minimize towel changes in our accommodation which directly translates into less water consumption and pollution.
- We only use unleaded gasoline in our snowmobile safaris which has completely removed this heavy pollutant that does damage not only to the environment but also to the people who are exposed to it. 95% of our snowmobiles operate a 4-stroke engine which is quieter, faster and cleaner thus offering smoke free riding and protecting the environment.
- We work hard to raise awareness of changes to the environment with our guests and how their actions at home can directly impact on locations such as ours.
- Our activity programmes all operate with environmental consideration, for example our safaris only follow marked trails to protect the flora and fauna. We consider natural awareness as our obligation when operating in one of the few unspoilt areas of the world, close to the great Pallas-Yllästunturi National Park and in the reindeer herding areas.
Carbon footprint. How about carbon handprint?
Carbon handprint is a recently launched term. Where carbon footprint describes our impact on the environment, the carbon handprint describes the actions and positive results on the environment. Besides our numerous actions to reduce our impact in winter 2019-2020 we offered our guests a possibility to compensate their holiday by taking part in our Plant a Tree programme. In summer of 2020 we planted just over 2,000 trees to the nearby areas of Torassieppi! Our goal for the next summer is to triple the amount to 6,000 trees.
“We do not own the land, we are just borrowing it from future generations”
Written by Antti Pietikäinen, Harriniva – Wanderer of the woods